• RSS
  • Twitter
Posted by Jess - - 9 Comments

I've been working on redesigning the website for the company I work for, and the new site will be powered by Wordpress. I've pretty much fallen in love with their platform, so I'm thinking about moving my blog over there. I've already been planning a big redesign anyways and if I go through with this craziness, I will be using the wordpress.org version instead of wordpress.com so that I can take advantage of the do-it-yourself-ness. I do love to do things by myself. We even have a video of me as a 3- or 4-year-old climbing up on a balance beam at the playground and exclaiming, "Look, Mommy! I did it all by myself!"

But I digress.  Basically, the purpose of this post is to ask if any of you have ever made the switch from Blogger to Wordpress.org, and if so, what advice do you have for me? I'd like to make the move as painless as possible, and I'd hate to lose any of you readers. I don't mean to say that I'm all about the numbers--not at all. It's just that I really enjoy and appreciate the feedback and opinions and thoughts and hopes and dreams and everything you all have shared with me over the past two years. It's the only thing that keeps me blogging, honestly. I don't want to lose my connection with all you lovely people.

Another thing that's holding me back a little is the fact that I don't have internet at home anymore, so my blogging time has been severely limited. Since moving away from the free internet access I used to have, I've found more time to write and do other creative things, so I'm not planning on getting internet at home any time soon. So while I'd like to keep blogging, it probably won't be nearly as often as I have done in the past. I hope you will all keep reading and leaving your mindbogglingly awesome comments, and please know that my absence is not without some regret. It's not you, I swear. It's me.


So do you think it's worth it? Should I go through the trouble of switching to a platform that I LOVE if I'm not going to be able to dedicate quite as much time to blogging? I've also considered looking at it as a website with an associated blog, so it wouldn't look quite so lonely if I can't post for a few weeks.

Your thoughts? As always, they are very much appreciated.

9 Responses so far.

  1. Bee says:

    It seems like a lot of people are taking the plunge from blogger to wordpress. I personally wouldn't 'cos I have no idea how wordpress works and I'm too lazy to learn something new, but it's great that you know what you want outta it.

    Glad you're getting more time to write. I wish I could say the same for myself. Maybe I should sever my internet connection - but oh damn, how will i live, then? *shakes head*

    And happy belated friendversary. That post is still my favourite Valentine's gift :)

  2. No Internet connection at home and you're a blogger. Wow. That takes discipline. My two cents is stay with what you've got so you can spend your blogging time on craft and not design. But you've got to do what your gut tells you to do and if the new platform excites you and you enjoy the design element of blogging that much, go for it! Good luck!

  3. I can't say I've made the switch from Blogger to Wordpress, but I like Wordpress, for what that's worth (although there are a few features on Blogger blogs that I've always been a bit envious of). But you won't lose us if you do make the switch! I say go for it if you like the Wordpress format that much. :-) Best of luck!

  4. Deana says:

    I haven't made the switch, mainly because unlike you, I am not tech savvy and it seems like you have to be on WordPress. I say do it if you feel it though! I will still visit you:)

  5. Deirdra says:

    You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with one of my homemade awards: Creative Blog Award. There are no pass along requirements. This is just to reward you for all the hard work you do!

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

  6. I made the switch and I love Wordpress (though I have to admit, someone else actually did all of the technical stuff for me...). I'm completely a believer in Wordpress. And yes, keep blogging! Even if it's only once in a while. I like hearing from you :)

  7. Congrats, Jess! You won in my giveaway. Come claim your prize. :)

  8. Bidisha says:

    Hey,

    I can't see a recent post here, so I was wondering - are you still blogging here or have you shifted to wordpress?

    Hope's all good with you :)

  9. I love Wordpress over most other bloggers out there. It is simpler and just neat looking. Just take it one step at a time. Otherwise the transition should not be too terribly hard.


    My homepage | Psychologist Doctorate

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...