• RSS
  • Twitter
Posted by Jess - - 4 Comments












Can I just say how much I adore today's BTWP interviewee? She is one of the sweetest people I have met on the internet, and she is a crazy good writer to boot. Her blog is super fun and full of lots of great information for writers, and her Raskolnikov Project is so much fun to follow. Once you're finished here, you should take a look for yourself, because one of these days, the whole world is going to know about the incredible

Rachel Bateman


What is your earliest writing memory? What did you write about? Did it have a title?

When I was about seven I watched the movie The Blob (because there's nothing quite like a good old horror flick for a seven year old - someday maybe I'll tell y'all about the time my cousin decided that watching Hitchcock's The Birds was a great idea for her sixth birthday party - and her dad let her). I'm pretty sure it was the original 1950s version, not the 1980s remake (and for the love of commas, I might cry if Rob Zombie actually follows through with his plans to remake it again but without the big pink blob thingie), but it was twenty years ago so my memory of the event is pretty fuzzy. Anyway, after watching that movie, I carried a spiral notebook with me everywhere I went. I wrote what pretty much amounted to really bad fan fiction, I am sure, though that can't be proven since I don't know what ever happened to that notebook.

When you were 6, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Honestly, I can't remember. Maybe a veterinarian? I really loved animals. Especially cats. I wanted to be a cat. Once I spent all day pretending I was a cat. Except in my world apparently cats walk around with their noses on the ground, because by the end of the day I had a huge, painful rug burn on my nose. Probably I was younger than six when that happened though. Oh man, I hope I was younger than six.

What is the best compliment your writing has ever received?

I think every time I post a chapter on The Raskolnikov Project and someone tells me how thrilled they are that there's a new chapter, or that they have been hoping I would add more soon, or that they enjoy reading it...yeah, that pretty much makes my day. Which reminds me - it's been WAY too long since I wrote a new chapter; I should remedy that.

Can you tell us a little about your current WIP?

Be excited, because I have been super tight-lipped about this one. I haven't told anyone what it's about: it's not been mentioned on my blog; I haven't told my sister, who is usually my first reader, or Geek Husband (I talk to Baby Caveman about it, but he's only six months old so he's not telling); nobody, nobody, nobody has heard what this book's about yet.

But I'll let you in on some little tidbits:

It's about a girl.
And about a boy.
It's about letting go and moving on.
It's about forgiving others, but more importantly it's about forgiving yourself.
It's about kissing.
And forks.

Do you follow a routine when it comes to writing?

I used to follow a pretty strict routine when it came to writing. But then I had Baby Caveman. So now my routine is pretty much squeeze in writing time whenever I get a moment. I write on an AlphaSmart and it has worked wonders for my creativity - the internet is not right there trying to distract me so I find it much easier to get a few words in when I only have three or four minutes.

I write a lot when Geek Husband is driving. And not just on road trips - Sidney (the AlphaSmart) goes everywhere, so I have been known to finish a chapter on the way to the grocery store before.

What do you find hardest about writing?

Turning off my inner editor. Sometimes I have a hard time remembering that books are made all pretty-like in edits, not during first drafts. That and finding the time, but since I am given the same 24 hours a day as everyone else, I feel like that's kinda a whiny answer. :)

What is your favorite book (at least currently)?

My favorite, favorite book is Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I also love East of Eden by Steinbeck. More recent works: I love anything by Sarah Dessen; Moonlight by Jessi Kirby is absolutely fabulous; and, like the rest of the world, I love me some Harry Potter.

What non-writing hobbies do you like to participate in?

If you can put the letters DIY in front of it, I like to do it: I love repurposing things, taking old things and making them new and fun; I've recently taken up sewing and I can't get enough of it; cardmaking; jewelry; you name it. I am getting things ready to open an ETSY shop in the near future, because I love doing it, but can't keep it all for myself.

I also love, love, big-puffy-heart LOVE baking and cake decorating. Yum!

Does reading count? Probably that's a writing-type hobby. I like swimming, too. I wish I lived somewhere warm and by the ocean. That would be heavenly.

If you had $1,000,001, what would you do with the $1?

Remember those old commercials that would go on and on about how you can't get anything for a dollar anymore but with this particular company you can have a 20-minute phone call for only 99 cents?!?! Yeah, I would get something way better than a 20-minute phone call. Cause, well, I have a cell phone with way better rates than that.

Probably I would fold it into a little origami penguin or something. 'Cause why not, you know?

Give us one random fact about yourself.

I have an extra bone in my right foot. True story.

--

To read more about Rachel and her fantastic writing, check out her website. She also tweets as @rachelbateman.

If you would be interested in being a BTWP interviewee, send me an email at jestkeptsecret (at) gmail (dot) com.

4 Responses so far.

  1. Emy Shin says:

    :D I think it's awesome, Rachel, that you wanted to be a cat!

    And ooh, your WiP sounds really interesting!

  2. Now that Blogger is letting me comment:

    Awesome interview, Rachel! Also, Jess, you are brilliant. You've constructed such a genius interview structure that's so simple but every single one is so interesting. You rock. Full stop.

    Furthermore: Rachel is THE AWESOME ONE. Can't wait for the next Raskolnikov Chapter, AND the Etsy shop!

  3. Rachel says:

    Yay! How fun to come home from vacation to find my interview up on the interwebs. Thanks, Jess. It was a blast.

    And Glenna, you make me blush. :)

  4. This is such a cool series, Jess! The interview questions are great--I'm going to have to go read all the archives sometime soon. :-)

    And Rachel, you are so cool for loving Crime and Punishment. I just went and read the first chapter of the Raskolnikov Project, and it was AWESOME. Looking forward to reading the rest!

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...