• RSS
  • Twitter
Posted by Jess - - 7 Comments

And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark... - Genesis 6:19

Thank goodness it stopped raining yesterday or I'd have started building a boat. I certainly have the animals to fill it with. Hehe.

So, for those of you who didn't know me this time last year, I always do a special post at the beginning of the summer to introduce all of my Philmont Pony Barn critters. That way, when I happen to mention Candy Corn, Butterscotch or Kit Kat, you'll know that I'm referring to ponies rather than edible tasties.

So without further ado, here is the

PHILMONT PONY BARN 
ROLL CALL
SUMMER 2010 
(Click on the pictures to view them larger) 


The Ponies  
(clockwise from top left)

Butterscotch - This feisty little trooper is my favorite pony--but shhhhh!! Don't tell the others! He is a Pony Wrangler's dream: cute, friendly, easy to catch/groom/saddle/lead.  He is so eager to please, and I can always count on him to behave himself marvelously for the kids (children, not Nubians).

Candy Corn - She may be older than Noah himself, but she still has sass.  She's a sweet girl with the cutest little whinny you'll ever hear, and since she's almost blind, she likes to touch you with her nose as you lead her so she always knows where you are.  It's precious!

Tyson - If I could have this pony blown up to regular horse size, I'd be the happiest horse girl alive.  He's mostly bombproof, loves attention, and he's one of the prettiest ponies I've ever seen. He rules the roost and takes his job as herd protector pretty seriously.

Stripe - You can't see it in this picture, but he is named Stripe for the large white stripe on his behind.  He's about 30 years old, but I'm beginning to think he's immortal.  I thought this picture was appropriate because I'm sure he wishes he was a big horse - unlike the other ponies, who all just assume they are.

Kit Kat - She came to us last summer and was little more than a skinny, nervous wreck with bad conformation. But I was able to work with her every day, and she is turning into a nice little mare.  She still needs reassuring, but she really is a sweetheart.

Chaco - That thing I said about ponies thinking they're big horses? Yeah... That would be Chaco.  He thinks he can take this horse on, but I can guarantee he's really just a pansy trying to convince himself he's tough.  If this horse were to actually get into the pony pasture, Chaco would be hiding behind Kit Kat's skirt.

Nugget - This pretty mare is my most athletic pony.  If she were mine, I'd get her into hunter/jumper training and watch her clean up at Pony Club events.  Her nickname is "Emo Pony" because her attitude is a little bit... dramatic...


The Chickens

Betty White, Goldie Hawn and Lucille Ball.  The friendliest chickens ever. And the most talkative--they make me think of that "Pick a Little, Talk a Little" song from "The Music Man".


The Goats

Annabelle (left) and Daisy (right) - They're still shy enough to run away every time I look at them, but if I sit with them with a bowl of sweet feed, they'll come over and eat out of my hands. As long as I keep my eyes closed, that is...


The Sheep

Sadie and Charlie - Charlie is the boldest little lamb, but Sadie is so protective that she won't let him play with the goats.  The first two days that they were here, she growled.  Like a dog.  But she has settled down nicely now, and she lets me come pretty close to touching her before she runs away.  I think she's teasing me.


The Burros

Ebony and Ivory - I'll bet you can't guess which one is which.  Ha!  Ebony has been brave and friendly right from the start, but only today, Ivory finally decided I was cool enough to be part of her exclusive little club.  She especially liked it when I scratched by her huge ears. LOVE.


The Cow

Tauros - I have never had a cow at the Pony Barn before, so this is a treat for me! He is the cutest little steer calf, and he already knows his name. He likes to hide in the tall grass that grows in his pen, and when I call to him, he'll poke his head up and prick his ears towards me. What a cutie! He's full of personality, and he just might drive me to vegetarianism. Might.

And yes, in case you're wondering, I did name him after the Greek word for "Bull" because I'm obsessed with the Percy Jackson series.

There you have it! Now you can all tell me how incredibly jealous you are.

Hehe.

7 Responses so far.

  1. Thank you for sharing with us. I love that you named all of them -- and they're all so gorgeous.

  2. monicagtr says:

    JESSSSSSSSSSSSSS I just discovered your blog and I LOVE IT! Can't wait to go back and read your posts, you're now officially on my RSS feed woo-hooo!

    Awwwww I miss these ponies--tell them to give Dan a sneeze from me :-)

    Happy Wednesday! I miss you and Philmont! SNOOORT!

  3. Julie says:

    Yep, I am incredibly jealous. But also because I know what the land those animals live on looks like too. And they get to see you everyday of course. Love the fluffies.

  4. Jess says:

    Sandy - Thank you! I'm rather smitten myself. :)

    Monica - SNOOORT! I miss you!!! Sneezes will be delivered, and welcome to the Jest Kept Secret!

    Julie - You could always come back. ;)

  5. COWS. BURROS. GOATS. BUH.

    By the way, something for you at my blog!

  6. A celebration of the Lord's artwork; love it!

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...